Just steps from St. Augustine’s historic city gates at St. George Street, the St. Photios Greek Orthodox National Shrine, an institution of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, is dedicated to the first colony of Greek people who came to America in 1768.
Join our team and help showcase our magnificent Orthodox Chapel filled with Byzantine style frescoes and take a tour of our historic museum. Special exhibits tell the story of the First Greek Colony in the New World. This freestanding exhibit contains various artifacts, photographs and historical documents.
Gift Shop Clerk/Museum Docent
The position requires an experienced, responsible, and motivated person to open and close the Shrine according to its hours of operation while maintaining the integrity of the facility. The docent-clerk is responsible for following the established system of maintaining and operating the Gift Shop/Bookstore.
Part time – Fridays and Saturdays 9:45am – 5:15pm
$13.00 – $14.50 per hour, commensurate with experience
Experience: 1 year working in a retail, church or school environment; 1 year plus of working with a point of sale system.
- Greet and welcome visitors.
- Provide Museum and Chapel information to visitors.
- Comfortably and positively work with guests to sell inventory.
- Assist in cash handling functions including POS system, registers and daily reporting.
- Maintain the daily operation of the gift shop within the guidelines of retail operating procedures.
- Assist in merchandising functions including display and store design, inventory receiving through POS system, stocking merchandise, brochures, and chapel candles, and merchandise pricing.
- Manage and account for inventory within the gift shop and museum.
- Assure gift shop area, museum, chapel and courtyard achieve the highest standards in areas of cleanliness, presentation and service.
- Sweep, dust, clean, organize merchandise.
- Accurately take phone messages and phone orders.
- Assist with preparation of bulk mailings.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Friendly disposition.
- Computer proficiency is a must.
- Must be sales assertive and have strong customer service skills. Enthusiasm and a high energy level required to create an enjoyable atmosphere.
- Excellent multi-tasking skills. Prioritizes and performs a variety of concurrent tasks with minimal direction.
- Ability to communicate clearly with visitors, co-worker, customers and volunteers.
- Ability to help maintain the cleanliness of the facility.
- Able to lift up to 15lbs. and able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Knowledge of and/or interest in St. Augustine, the immigration history of Greeks and Minorcans as well as their eventual residence in the city of St. Augustine and its Colonial Quarter.